Friday, September 24, 2010

In Tampere with Friends

Sitting on the VR train to Tampere, I saw wide fields, yellow woods, little cottages pass by the train window. My heart was longing for meeting my friends in Tampere.

I reached the city center and it was drizzling. Tampere is washing her face and welcoming me with a fresh look. Tampere impresses me in way of city planning with well-blended nature. This city has big buildings arranged nicely in grid, a big canal in the middle of the city with few bridges linked across. She has some great and historical cathedral and churches for prayers, music orchestra and of nice settings for wedding of course.





I met my friends and they gave me a warmest welcome I ever had in Finland. We walked around the city and visited the some churches, parks and the city square. It is indeed worth travelling for weekend wanderers. There is a mural along the wall edge between the roof and the ends of pillars. There are 12 children holding a long tied bush. Each of them has different load on them symbolizes how people carry their burden in life. I feel this mural is so real reflecting how life’s hitting us. We live the way we carry our responsibility, burden and ambition. Somebody have born burdens, some people are living carefree, and some of them have legacies in life. Well, what am I? I live in the way I choose. I am lucky and I appreciate my freedom of choosing my life.




Along the way, we went to Asian Market. At last I am able to get the ingredient for some Malaysia food-Curry Paste. We made curry chicken for our dinner. It’s been awhile my tongue hasn’t got challenged.




The next day, I was coincidentally lucky that I located at the right place, at the right time to attend an Asian gathering for celebrating mid-autumn festival. This gathering gathered a lot of Asian exchange students and some international students in a church. I have a great fun meeting new people from Asia. They are having the same life as I am. Studying abroad alone and facing new experience every moment, they leaving dearest friends and family at far side of the earth. Hence, when we chatted with each other, we felt the same telepathy frequency among us. The best of all is, we tasted mooncake in foreign land. Rare food always tasted more delicious. During the gathering, I meet many Chinese living in this Suomi land on various reasons. They are very helpful to each other, the root in heart and blood. I think this is the connection of ethnic. Living in foreign is never been easy. Finding identity among whites and blondes, these Chinese tolerate with people around, and trying to serve the community as well as they could be. They appreciate the opportunities given to them to start a new life.






Day dreaming when I was on the train back to my place from Tampere, my mind is recalling the smile and the laughter of my friends. I have a great time in the weekend. Unfolding my little torn scrap paper with some written contact of my new friends, this could unveil another subchapter of my life.

No comments: